Monday 22 October 2012

Gang of Children

I bought my flat less than three years ago and its renovation took about six months. And I moved in about two years back. I am already in the Management Committee of the Housing Society. Now as far as the children here are concerned, I am some sort of a Pied Piper to them. Sometimes on weekends, I tell them stories - longish stories which have to be told in several installments  that makes me a popular adult with them. It is not that I am a great storyteller, but then there is no one else. Come to think of it, my paternal granny used to tell us stories, but in my extended family, neither my parents, nor my sisters or cousins tell stories. Their children eagerly await my annual trip down south. Not a single young child prefers television to oral tales.
 On Saturday, I found the children playing in the stairwell. I asked them why were they not playing in the garden. I was told that the watchman had locked the entry to it. Now last week I had managed to lock myself out of my flat with the keys inside. So I had to go to my sister's place to get the duplicate keys. So I was not here overnight. When I asked the watchman the reason why the garden  gate was locked, what he told upset me very much. These children were caught by the police consuming charas / ganja . All these children are less that 10 years old, Where do they get the money? The parents give it seems. I do not know what to think. I will come back to this blog as I understand  the situation better.

No comments:

Post a Comment